Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Language Use

Written Saturday, September 27, 2008

I’ve been trying to learn some Rutooro (the local language) and am finding it to be very challenging. For one thing a word in Rutooro is often twice as long as the same English word, so there are more letters and sounds to remember. Secondly, I find the pronunciation of Rutooro words to be extremely difficult. My mouth struggles to put the sounds together correctly. Swahili feels like a much easier language. Plus, in Kenya I lived with 600 children who were always eager to teach you the most basic of Swahili phrases.

Janis and I (miraculously) found an English/Rutooro phrase book. Some of the phrases included are actually quite hilarious because they’re not things you would find in a North American-produced phrase book and seem completely strange to us. For example:

Mother-in-law is bad
Uncle was drunk
I can not walk totally
But I wish to get an injection
Do not come on foot!
Do not come when very dirty
A good one sells itself
A bad thing beshames
You go to dig tomorrow
My leg is swelling inside, it seems there is pus.
I have come running to school and I am ever sweating.
My classroom is not very loud and neither does funnies.

And my personal favourite: Why do you make children cry every day?

1 Comments:

At 7:23 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just read this now... HILARIOUS... please bring that book home with you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home