Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Day of Discoveries in Fort Portal

A Day of Discoveries in Fort Portal

Today was a wonderful day of discoveries in Fort Portal (FP). Yesterday we had the true joy of moving into our house in town. We are so very happy to be here, especially because our housing situation was quite uncertain for quite a while there. Since moving in, our house hasn’t electricity. We figured it was because of the rotating power outages that happen in FP. When we got to work and found out that other people had electricity we started to think that maybe our power had been disconnected. Our field supervisor got right now it and called the landlord. Sure enough, it had been disconnected.

When we got home, still no electricity. So our field supervisor came by. Apparently the fuse box is on the house attached to our house. We were supposed to have a key to get into the gate to access the house, but the key wasn’t working or was missing. So Janis figured out how to climb over the railing. She and then I climbed over the railing and made it to the other side of the house and the fuse box. She opened the box and there was this massive fuse pulled out. I picked it up and for a second thought, “Okay, my brother is an electrician. Would he think it’s a good idea that I’m about to plug in this thing?” I didn’t really answer my question, but I did push the fuse in and the electricity came. Janis and I climbed around the railing and were back at our house. Needless to say, our field supervisor was definitely entertained and Janis and I once again proved our resourcefulness.

Once we finished our dance for joy over having electricity, we discovered that we have an electric stove and oven. It had been covered up and turned around, so we hadn’t really noticed it. With great caution we tested out that the elements worked and delighted as the oven light turned out. It was a great moment and we danced again.

Things we also found were boxes of Christmas lights (which turned out to be empty), a TV (which appears not to work), a spider, ants and a huge cockroach. These discoveries were not as delightful as the earlier ones, but we are still very happy. I think we shall be extremely comfortable in our new house home. Tomorrow we’re going to check out the Saturday market, wash our clothes and wash the dusty seat cushions. Last night we took apart the extremely overstuffed pillows that we bought and created sofa throw cushions by cutting the extra pillow cases in half, sewing them up and filling them with the extra stuffing. We’re pretty proud of ourselves and the cushions have made the sofa even more comfortable than before.

1 Comments:

At 7:29 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful thing for parents to find out about certain happenings AFTER they are successful!Like messing with electrical boxes. Love DAD.xo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home