Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Birthday in Kenya

Written Thursday, April 12th

On Thursday, April 5 I celebrated my 25th birthday. As I was contemplating this event and taking stock of my life, I realized how happy I with where I am in life. Truly God has been good to me. I’ve graduated from one of the Canada’s best universities in a program that I love and here I am in Kenya having been awarded one of the relatively few CIDA internships. I’m working at an incredible organization doing very rewarding work. The experience will be a great asset to me wherever I decide to work or continue with education. Five years ago, even three years ago I never would have seen myself here, but I know that it is the right place for me to be.

Thank you to all of you who sent birthday cards or emails. A great big THANK YOU to Jennifer Ferris who sent an absolutely wonderful birthday package that arrived in plenty of time. (I've realized that I don't have a current email address for you, so that's why you haven't heard from me until now!) In it was a letter, an adorable little tiger and a huge birthday poster that had been signed by many of my friends. Thank you for remembering me! Thank you to all those who signed it – Jennifer, Jayne, Jessie-Lee, Liz G., Karl, Anna, Meagan, Sally, Natalie M., Blair, Krystal, Bob, Sarah, Nelson, Cherry, Lisa, Alice, Karen & John, Alicia, Jenn Lee, Crystal, Rob, Nathan & Cecile, Marcus, Mercedes and Baby Turner #3, Kathryn, Annelise, Jonathan, Sally, Rachel, Jason & Jessica, Beemer, Christine, David, Nicole, Kathy, Erin, Ryan, Melinda, Josh, Dennis, Becky & Tim, Nathan S., Evelyn and the three people whose signatures I couldn’t read!!! You have helped to make my birthday very special.

On the morning of my birthday I walked outside of my room to see a birthday sign that Lindsey had taped on one of our doors. That morning we didn’t have classes because it was Easter break. We had a Bible study together, Lindsey prayed for me and then I opened her gift for me. Later that day we traveled to Ndalani where we were to spend the majority of the break. This made for a very special day for me because it allowed me to see many of my friends from Ndalani. There were many birthday wishes. The evening was finished with Lindsey leading a round of “Happy Birthday to You” and presenting me with a “dessert chapatti” (a dessert chapatti is a regular chapatti with margarine spread on it and sugar sprinkled on top). The oven wasn’t working so no cake could be baked.

One Kenyan birthday tradition that I was able to avoid was being the practice of soaking the birthday person with buckets of cold water. Many people threatened but nobody followed through, which was pretty much what I had expected.

3 Comments:

At 4:08 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda, Great new blog posting.Love Dad

 
At 8:03 p.m. , Blogger Jennifer Salter said...

Hey Amanda
I am soooooooo glad that you got your Birthday package in time! We were all thinking of you. Can't wait to see you!
Love ya kiddo,
Jennifer

ps my email is jenniferferriss@gmail.com

 
At 3:00 p.m. , Blogger Amanda Jones said...

Hello!

Dad, glad that you're enjoying the blog postings. Pretty soon I'll be writing about flying back to Canada.

Jenn, thank you again for the wonderful gift. I really, really mean it! It made my birthday so special. Bless you, girl! Looking forward to seeing you too!!!

Amanda

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home