Sunday, April 15, 2007

Adventures in Zambia

Written Thursday, March 15th, 2007

We’ve returned from our trip to Zambia and it was a wonderful, wonderful time. I was so busy leading up to it that I really didn’t feel like having to leave all the work and responsibilities for another trip. But it was definitely worth it. Not only did we get to spend time with the Zambia interns, Bethany and Dave, but we were able to see more of Africa and enjoy a nice little holiday.

Bethany and Dave work for another children’s home also sponsored by Crossroads called the Lazarus Project. The Lazarus Project is quite different from MCF in a number of ways. The project is located on the edge of Lusaka, the capital of Zambia. It is rather small (about 25 boys, no girls) and focuses on rehabilitation and reintegration, whereas MCF cares for the children until they complete either Gr. 12 or vocational training. The Lazarus Project was started just a few years ago. Bethany’s has a number of responsibilities at the project including providing age-appropriate sex, HIV and hygiene education to the boys. Dave is working with the farm manager to increase the capacity of the farm and explore income-generating opportunities for the project.

On our arrival day we visited the project and received a tour around the property. We met quite a number of the boys and were able to spend some time hanging around with them. When we came to the project on Saturday, a large group from the United States was there and presented a great program for the boys including music, drama, gifts and sports. I unfortunately slept through most of it as I was suffering from a bout of jetlag.

When we returned to the project the following week, Lindsey and I worked like crazy women in whatever way we could help. Over the next three days we weeded the project’s gardens, assisted in preparing planting beds and washed bedding and clothing for some of the youngest boys. One particularly trying task was sorting harvested dried soya beans for sale in town. This process entailed dumping a sack of them on a tarp and then shuffling through them picking out dirt and other stones. The farm staff had no sifter to quicken the work, so Lindsey set about building them one. The only thing needed to complete the tool was wire mesh, which needed to be purchased from town. The two of us felt that this would be an incredibly useful tool especially since there were another eleven bags to be sorted. Another large task that the two of us undertook with Bethany was washing down and then painting the hallways in the large dormitory. We were pleased when most of the boys enthusiastically joined us for washing the walls and windows. The following day the three of us girls painted like maniacs, generating such comments as, “Canadian women must really love to paint. Look how fast you are.” I am so glad that we were able to help in this capacity. The previous paint was worn, dirty and pink. I think that the boys will appreciate the fresh coat of blue that now decorates their home. When we were not working, I had a terrific time hanging out with the boys. Their energy and personality was irresistible.

Prior to arrival in Zambia, Bethany made arrangements for Lindsey and me to travel with her to Kabwe and spend two days with the organizations that she spent the first part of her internship with. While in Kabwe we stayed at the Bible college where she will be attending in May. We were very comfortable and felt extremely welcomed. The first day in Kabwe we joined Hands at Work in doing home-based care. It was truly eye-opening to visit the homes, discover how desperate the situations were and see how little there was to help those in need. At each home we offered encouragement, prayer and sometimes a little money, but I still longed to do so much more. The second day we did door-to-door HIV/AIDS testing. I was able to sit in on HIV tests and even got tested myself. I was glad to have this opportunity so that I could share my experience with the Yatta girls. Visiting Kabwe was a wonderful chance to meet more people working in different aspects of HIV/AIDS care and prevention. It has helped to expand my understanding of the work being done in these areas.

Numerous people have asked us to compare Kenya and Zambia. Zambia is a very flat country with very few valleys and hills. There is far more vegetation than Kenya; trees were incredibly numerous in comparison. Lusaka has many trees and some beautiful green spaces. The buildings and infrastructure seem to be much newer than Kenya. Recently constructed buildings and excellent main roads give the impression of Zambia being a healthy and growing country. One day we were traveling on a rather bumpy road and Bethany commented that she had heard that this was a bad road. Then Lindsey piped up, “Are you kidding? This is a good road in Kenya!” That should give you an idea of just how nice we think the roads were. Zambians are said to be the friendliest people in Africa. I have to say, however, that I prefer Kenyans. We did meet some very wonderful people while visiting, but in general I feel that the Zambian men are too friendly, often making inappropriate comments and rudely demanding your attention. I have great sympathy for Bethany who has to deal with this behaviour on a daily basis. In general things seemed more expensive in Zambia than in Kenya. However, Lusaka did have a great selection of clothes imported from South Africa that we really enjoyed shopping from.

Our 11 days in Zambia went by quickly, yet we accomplished a great deal and were able to get a good understanding of the work being done. We had a very special time visiting with Bethany and Dave, sharing experiences and encouraging each other. I’m so glad that we had the opportunity to visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home