Saturday, February 10, 2007

New Year’s Eve, Secreto de Amor and Fireworks

Written Monday, January 1, 2007

New Year’s Eve was a non-event this year, but I’m still happy about how I used my time. I spent New Year’s Eve evening watching television. Please don’t feel bad for me. You don’t realize what a treat it was. That was the first time in two months that I had watched TV. I had the remote all to myself. In fact, I had the whole guesthouse lounge to myself, as apparently most people have better things to do than watching TV on New Year’s Eve. What did I watch? A few sitcoms, bits of movies, the news and the series finale of Secreto de Amor. Secreto de Amor is this absolutely cheesy Latin soap opera with bad English dubbing that is wildly popular in Kenya. I was first introduced to it in September by one of the guesthouse kitchen staff. He watched an episode with us and filled us in on the entire plot. Safe to say he’s a fan. That was actually the only time except for last night that I’ve seen the show, but I have certainly heard enough about it over the past few months. I find it kind of humourous that I happened to stumble across and see the series finale.

When the clock struck midnight and the fireworks went off I was in my room with Lindsey. Fireworks in Kenya are a bit different than in Canada. There are very few restrictions on the sale of them, so everyone seems to set them off. It made for a very colourful and noisy few minutes.

Today Lindsey and I are working on preparations for our vacation and also enjoying the beauty of Java House, our favourite coffee/dessert/breakfast/lunch location. We have also found an Internet café that is open on New Year’s Day, which means I’m able to chip away at the emails before I retreat from the computer for my holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home