Back in Nairobi
Written September 28th
Well, it’s been almost 6 weeks and at last we’re back in Nairobi and back online! I hadn’t expected it to be so long, but that is just the way things went. The Internet connection that we had been hoping to use in a town nearby to MCF is not working at present, so our only way of checking email etc is to visit Nairobi. And here we are, back where it all began! Everything feels similar and yet so different. Last night as Lindsey and I were sitting in a nice restaurant in a shopping mall we discussed how we felt like we were going through a bit of reverse culture shock being in such a modern area again. It’s a good thing to be back in Nairobi. We’re having a little holiday for a few days, getting caught up with email, eating a lot of yummy food and restocking our pile of snack food. It’s a happy time!
So, what to say about the past few weeks? Time is going faster now. For the first three weeks it was difficult. We missed home and everything that was familiar and easy. We missed understanding the language, the social situations, what people expected of us, when we were offending people, when we weren’t – all these things that you take for granted when you live in your own culture. And now we’re doing better, much better. I feel more settled into work. I’m gradually learning more Swahili. I’m becoming very good friends with many people at MCF. I’m getting a clearer idea of when to ask and when to just listen.
We are now farm employees. That is where we work each day. Each Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday we assist in harvesting, grading and shipping thousands of little perfect French beans to customers in Netherlands and throughout Europe. I’ve often wondered who ends up eating these beans. For those of you who are interested in film making, I’d like to suggest a documentary idea – “The Voyage of a French Bean.” The film would follow the French beans from MCF all the way to the many people who consume them. Who are these people? The rich, the famous, maybe even royalty? Who knows – but you could find out! Anyways, when I’m not pondering the life of farm produce, I’m either helping to plant it, pick it or do paper work regarding it.
The farm staff are great, especially the local ladies who are still determined to teach us Kikumba. We’re gradually getting better at it. Some of the workers and staff have even said that we are no longer Mzungus (“white people”), but Kikumba (the local tribe) or Kenyans! It’s quite an honour to be given such a designation.
There are times when we feel quite isolated. MCF is in the middle of the countryside. The only places that we have visited at Matuu, Kisiiki and the fruit stand at the end of the laneway. Matuu is a relatively larger town that we have to take matatu to get to. There’s a post office there and hopefully once they get the Internet fixed we’ll also be able to check email there. Kisiiki is a very small town. Lindsey and I walked there one Sunday afternoon when I felt like I was going stir crazy. I’ve discovered that when I am feeling down I probably need an outing. That Sunday afternoon was extremely good for me. It took 40 minutes to walk to Kisiiki. Once there we bought two delicious bottles of Fanta and then found a wonderful little shop where we could buy a chocolate bar. This was a very great moment for me! Lindsey and I will continue to explore the towns and hopefully get to accept some of the invitations from different workers to visit them in their homes.
For the past two weeks MCF has had a steady stream of visitors from Canada. The dining area has become known as “Little Canada.” It is very interesting getting to know the different Canadians, observing their experiences and answering the many questions that they ask. I feel very fortunate to be in Kenya for so long because I feel that it provides an opportunity to really learn and understand the culture on a different level than is afforded on short-term trips. I’m glad to have the chance to share with the team members some of what I have learned and observed over the past few weeks. I’m curious as to how my perspective will change and grow in the coming months. One fabulous thing with the visitors is that they leave us all of their leftover snacks when they head home. Last week it felt like Christmas as we were made the grateful owners of scores of goodies, such as crackers and cheese, tuna, salmon, granola bars, peanut butter, soup, instant oatmeal and even a gourmet can of Spam. We’re saving that one for a special occasion.
Lindsey and I feel a bit spoiled being back in Nairobi. This morning I slept in, had a blissfully hot shower, ate the most delicious chocolate croissant I’ve ever had and spent two hour reading emails from home. In the guesthouse I was finally able to look in a full size mirror and see more than just two-thirds of my face. Tonight we ordered pizza and had it delivered to our room. Last night it was a superbly wonderful cheeseburger and French fries. It’s all a far cry from the simple food and accommodations that we experience at MCF, but I’m also glad that the simpler way is how I’m spending my time in Kenya. I think if I lived in Nairobi it would be much easier to be distracted by the tasty food, easy-access Internet and many other attractions.
Thank you to all of you who took the time to write emails and letters. Unless you’ve lived away from home for an extended period of time, you have no idea how wonderful they are! Thank you also for all of you that have been praying for me and for my family. I feel the effects of your prayers. The following are a few things that you can continue to pray for:
- Success in relationships – how can I be a friend to the staff, workers and children
- Continued growth in learning Swahili
- Continued safety and great health for me and Lindsey
- Direction for projects relating to HIV/AIDS
- Rain! The rainy season is about to start – pray that the rains come so the crops can grow
- The Gr. 12 students at MCF. Right now they are writing national exams that determine whether they go to university. Pray that they have great success
- My family back home
I’m estimating that I’ll probably be back in Nairobi in about 4 weeks. We’ll have to see though. Flexibility is the name of the game! I hope that you enjoy reading this blog. If there is anything in particular that you would like to hear about, or questions that you have, please let me know and I’ll make a posting on that topic! It is so good to know that there are so many people supporting me back home. Thank you so very much!
Bye for now!
Amanda

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home