Fun In Nairobi
Hello everyone! Well, our relaxation time in Nairobi is coming to an end because we are leaving town today at about 10:30am. Someone from MCF will be picking us up and driving us the two hours that it takes to get there. Lindsey and I are very excited to get out to Ndalani. We were talking about how living in Nairobi has easily become the new "norm."
Internet won't be as available in Ndalani, so the postings will be fewer. That means that you'll have to savour every word! I will be writing some more letters and postcards, so look for one coming your way!
Lindsey and I have each been doing some journaling. The following is something that I wrote about attending church yesterday. It's a little bit long, but I thought you might enjoy reading it! It's a slice from our lives!
Going to Church
Our friend Redemptor picks us up to take us to church. Today we will be attending Nairobi Pentecostal Church. It is located on Valley Road. We walk to the Yaya Centre where we are to catch a matatu. It takes a while to find a matatu that is going to the right location, and will hold three people. We find one and in we climb. Matatus remind me of the Canadian Jeeps in the wars – nothing can stop these things. They rattle and shutter as the drive pulls off and on the road, collecting passengers from different stops. We were told in training that there has been a bunch of new legislation for matatus. They used to be painted many colours, have music blaring and would load as many passengers as possible. Now the music is quieter, they are all painted a subdued white and blue and not very often will you find more passengers than seats. We arrive at our stop and get out. We have discovered that there is either no graceful way to exit a matatu, or it takes a great deal of practice to achieve any type of gracefulness. I’m hoping that it’s the latter.
We are a few minutes late for the service. The music has already started. Redemptor leads us up the stairs and through a doorway into the sanctuary. We are in the balcony section and the only space is in the front row! Lindsey and I look around the room and come to the same realization – we are the only two white people in a sea of black faces. There must be over two thousand black people in the service and then there’s us.
The music is great! There is a full band, choir, backup singers and worship leader. Everyone in the church is moving to the music. I feel very non-rhythmic compared to them, which is surprising because normally I can groove. Most of the songs are not familiar, but I enjoy them anyways and even make a shy attempt to join in the actions. A pastor comes to the stage and welcomes everyone, including the guests. Lindsey and I brace ourselves to have to raise our hands to identify ourselves as visitors. It is worse. He wants all first time visitors to stand up. Bravely we stand. Everyone can see us now. However, in hindsight, it’s not as though we didn’t stand out before!
Following the worship a guest choir takes the stage. It is all men. The first song is slow. The next song is faster. One lady in the very front row of the church gets up and starts moving to the music. The choir begins an even more-upbeat reprise and suddenly more people are on their feet. I love watching they sway and step as they feel the music. The choir comes to the end of the song and applause erupts.
The service continues with an excellent message from a man who works in HIV/AIDS awareness. Then the pastor closes in prayer and the service is over. Outside the building we catch a matatu home. Lindsey and I ask Redemptor a couple more questions about how to get the right matatu. We will be all set for going to church on our own the next time we visit Nairobi.

6 Comments:
Well Amanda,
Let me be the first to comment on how cool your trips sounds so far! That sounds like a pretty amazing first church servive experience in Africa. Although it is hard for me to picture you feeling nervious. So have you made new friends yet? Is everything as you expected? Well Vik and I are praying for you, for your safety and for you to grow in this expereince.
I am looking forward to your next post.
Love you.
Lyndsay
P.S. Can people easily pronounce yours and Lindsay's names? Do you think you might take on an African name? :)
Hey Amanda!
I'm glad to hear you made it safely and are enjoying your time in Kenya. I know you will come away from this experience with many great memories!
Dan
Hi Amanda!!!
I thought I'd be the first to comment on your blog :) It sounds like you had a very good first impression of Kenya, and I hope things are continuing to go well for you! A lot of what you described sounds so familiar, it brought back a lot of good memories about Tanzania... maybe it's just me, but you do get used to body odour and the like after awhile!
May God bless you in your time there, and may he teach you many and wonderful things!
Claudia
Hey Amanda!
It's good to hear you made it safely to Kenya, and that you had a great first impression of the country! I hope things are continuing to go well. It was really nice to read what you wrote, it brought back a lot of memories of Tanzania... I don't know if it's just me, but I think you'll get used to body odour and the like after awhile, hehe.
Anyway, take care, and may God bless you in your time in Kenya, may He teach you many and wonderful things!
Claudia
Hey Amanda!
It's good to hear you made it safely to Kenya, and that you had a great first impression of the country! I hope things are continuing to go well. It was really nice to read what you wrote, it brought back a lot of memories of Tanzania... I don't know if it's just me, but I think you'll get used to body odour and the like after awhile, hehe.
Anyway, take care, and may God bless you in your time in Kenya, may He teach you many and wonderful things!
Claudia
Hey Amanda!
How are you? I hope you're doing well...I'm still praying for you, thinking of you...waiting for the next blog to hear about more of your adventures in Kenya...I hope you get the opportunity to bless the people there as much as you have been a blessing here!
Sarah :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home